Monday, September 29, 2008

Are You Scared Yet?


We’ve talked so much about science, but we’ve never defined it, so I thought I’d start a short series of postings on science and how it applies to so many different things in our lives.

Okay, I know what you are thinking…you’re scared, you’re shivering…NOOOO, don’t make my brain hurt! But before you skip to the next blog on your list, remember this…science is more than growing experiments in your refrigerator. Remember the meatloaf from two weeks ago? Is it still in there…looming…waiting…growing…morphing…

Oh, back to reality. I’ll take that meatloaf out later.

Science is not boring. Science is key to understanding our God and logical concept that there is a God.

So here’s the deal, read the next paragraph, then the next. If after that, you’re still bored, move on to the next blog on your list.

“How do we define science? According to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, the definition of science is ‘knowledge attained through study or practice,’ or ‘knowledge covering general truths of the operation of general laws, esp. as obtained and tested through scientific method [and] concerned with the physical world.’” (http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/science-definition.html )

So did you read that? “Knowledge attained through study or practice” and “knowledge covering general truths”. When you study science, you find truth. Who is truth? John 8:31-32 says the following, “Jesus then said to those Jews who believed in him, ‘If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’”

God is truth and all creation comes from Him. So how do you separate yourself from science? You don’t. It’s IN you, it IS you, and it is FOR you. So how do you keep your head from hurting when you hear the word, science? You remember that God loves you and He made you… “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” (Psalm 139:14)

What do you observe, hypothesize, predict about life? What experiments and conclusions can you have? Over the next several postings, we’ll look at one aspect of life, the preborn child, and apply the scientific method to “our problem”. Let’s consider together when a human becomes a human. Let’s see what we can learn from science.


Did you make it to the end?

4 comments:

Kay Day said...

I did. And I'm still smiling. My head hurts, but that's not your fault.
I love science!

Robbie Iobst said...

Loretta, you may make me like science yet! I've never thought about science just being searching for truth. I am very interested in what you have to say about the preborn child.

Jan Parrish said...

LOL. Yes, I made it to the end and it was good. :)

Karen O'Keeffe said...

I made it too! You must be a good writer;) I'll bet you tell your kids that everything God made is science, just like I tell them it's all art! LOL! Actually, I think science and art are so intertwined that it's difficult to deliniate them.